The port cities of Seattle and Gdynia have much in common. These commonalities prompted the formation of the Seattle-Gdynia Sister City Association (SGSCA), one of Seattle’s twenty-one sister cities. SGSCA is a 501(c)(3) organization, staffed entirely by volunteers who are committed to sharing and promoting business, cultural and academic exchanges between the two cities.
What has SGSCA accomplished?
• Produced 20 Seattle Polish Film Festivals
• Hosted 70+ Polish students who attended the Washington Business Week summer program
• Led Trade, Civic & Seattle business delegations to Poland
• Sent computers, books, clothing, toys to orphanage in Gdynia
• Hosted Gdynia Port Directors & Gdynia Police Chief and staff for consultations with Seattle city officials
• Provided funds to help build Gdynia’s City & Maritime Museums
• Established Gdynia Business Week
Sister Cities International awarded Seattle-Gdynia Sister City Association with the Innovation: Youth & Education, 2010 honor for its work on Gdynia Business Week.
The City of Seattle awarded Seattle-Gdynia Sister City Association with Best Overall Program, 2011 and 2006, as well as Best Single Project, 2010 for its work on Gdynia Business Week.